*

*
******Behind the Moon BEADWORKS is proud to announce that a portion of proceeds from all purchases will now be donated to support the K-Love radio ministries! Thank you for your support!******

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nutrition...uh...I don't get it

Is anyone else as completely confused and overwhelmed by the idea
of trying to eat right?  
I mean, should I be watching calories, carbs, sugar, sodium, processed foods, protein, fat or what!!!???  I'm sure the answer lies in some combination of all of these....
that means I'm in big trouble :)

Why re-evaluate what I eat?  
#1 I'm no spring chicken , more like a mid-summer chicken.  
I'm 33 (sshhhh almost 34) and while I don't believe that makes me old by any means, my body is starting to tell me otherwise.  The things I used to be able to do to lose weight aren't working as well.  Things are sagging, yes, sagging! And that nagging aching in my knees?  Oh please tell me it's not arthritis already!  I better start paying some serious attention to nutrition if I want to prevent things from getting worse and avoid illnesses and all those nasty things that go along with being overweight.  I want strong bones, healthy muscles, and a good immune system for as long as possible.

#2 Keep my weight under control.
Aahhh, the lifelong struggle.  I've been in about a 14 pound weight range over the last 2 years.  Technically I guess I'm 8 pounds out of my "healthy" weight range but truthfully could use to lose probably more like 10-15 pounds. 

Of course as I write this a co-worker of mine has entered the room eating a large slice of the fabled "Oakmonter" cake.  Any of you local in Pittsburgh may know what that is.  The bottom is chocolate cake and the top is cheesecake with a layer of fudge in between.  Then generously swabbed in chocolate icing with crushed Hershey bars and cherries on top.  I mean come on!  The force is strong but I am so far resisting :)

So the current nutrition theory I am buying into is trying to eat all natural and cut down on sugar.  Well...just trying to eat mostly natural cause I know I can't go all the way.  I have to assume this is an OK way to go, I mean , if God made it, it should be good for you right?  The trouble is to find foods handy and convenient to grab in a hurry.  
This mama is on the move!

If you have any tips or links on healthy eating, please share!

I thought I'd include a healthy recipe that I love, at least I think it's healthy ;)  I found it long ago on Spark People.


Love when these are fresh out of the oven, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside!


Ingredients

    1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant) 1 cup non-fat milk 1 cup whole wheat flour 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 2 egg whites 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. sugar raisins or nuts (optional)

Directions

Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.

Number of Servings: 12

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 12
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 93.5
  • Total Fat: 0.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
  • Sodium: 196.2 mg
  • Total Carbs: 20.5 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
  • Protein: 2.9 g 

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya on this post!!! It definitely gets harder the older I get!! Plus I have NO control with food.. it's better for me just not NOT eat than to start and have to stop. Ok - sorry - I was supposed ot be giving you helpful hints on eating better! oops! :)

    btw, those muffins look good! I can't wait to fix them with Cate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel ya on this. we are trying to find a 'good' diet to go on ... haven't found one yet haha! i love food too much to give anything up! ugh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nutrition? what's that??? and a diet, NO IDEA what that is either. i have no tips for you, we eat pretty ok. not really healthy, but not really bad either. my main problem?? SODA. i'm addicted to coke. i can't stop drinking it. maybe if i could it would help.

    those muffins look soo yummy. my daughter and husband would love those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance, balance, balance. That's what I've learned about nutrition. There are so many fads and trendy new things -- but in the end I believe it comes down to eating less and moving the body.

    Those muffins so look great. I think I'll have to try them -- gluten free, of course.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Related Posts with Thumbnails